Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Family Photo Circa 1933 - A Grandpop I Never Knew


Actually, I never had the chance to meet either of my grandfathers. Funny how you start to realize that this is an experience I missed out on. I have no idea what it is like to have a grandfather!

My three older siblings got to know my mom's father, who died nine months before I was born, but my dad's father who is pictured in this photo, passed away when my dad was just ten years old. It is strange to look at this man that I never had the opportunity to know or even hear many stories about and actually see that I sort of resemble him.

I think this photo is spectacular. My sister used Photoshop to repair some of the damage where the original was cracked. There are three or four other pictures I had never seen before that she is working on and will email to me when she is finished. But, I wanted to share this little slice of my family history. My grandfather worked for Jewel T (I think that was the name) but died of a heart attack at the age of 40.

Occasionally, I will post one of the old vintage family photos but right now I am starting to look through all of my more recent photos of faces as two wonderful girls (yes, I'll call them girls 'cause they are much younger than I) I've met in the blogging world have started a new website called "I Heart Faces". The link to this site is over on my side bar and the site will hit the ground running on January 12, 2009! I am so excited and happy for Amy and Angie. Although I've never met them in person, I really feel I "know" them and I wish them all the best with their new adventure into this world we call blogging.

6 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

This photo is fabulous Dot! I love old photos and wish that I had more of my grandparent's photos.

I also never knew one of my grandpas. And it is so strange to me because everytime I see a photo of him I can clearly see both of my brothers in it. My grandpa died about 9 months after I was born.

Thank you so much for helping us spread the news about our new website. I am so stinkin' excited about it! I don't think it matters that we've never met, you've truly become a friend in my heart. I have loved getting to know you over the past few months.

Stephanie Harsh said...

I love the photo! I, too, never met any of my grandfathers. It never bothered me growing up, but as I get older and think about having children of my own, I start to realize what I missed out on. God willing, my kids will know both their grandfathers.

Tammy said...

What a totally cool real picture with a real relative :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh my goodness, I love this photo...it is so wonderful! I love old photos of family members..so special!
-sandy toe

Christina said...

Old family photos are nice to have!

Unknown said...

Hey Dot -- My hubby has a 1929 Model A truck - like the one from the Walton's - and I just LOVE old trucks - and stories that come with them. So fun to see this photo, and to get to know you a little more through this blog! :)