Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In My Past Life









Before I had kids, I used to be able to draw.... and I took classes right up until a few months before delivering my daughter who is now 17. It's funny how you can devote so much time to something and then suddenly you realize 17 years have gone by and you may no longer posses this ability. I think the drawing talent cells got pushed out with the baby those many years ago. I still have my box of 130 pastels safely tucked away for "some day when I get back to it" but I don't know if that day will ever come. I haven't so much as even opened the box to check to see if the pastels are whole or if they've turned to dust.

Honestly, I don't know where I'd fit it in between quilting, knitting, photography, and "Photoshopping". I can tell you one thing, I am never bored. However, if there should come a lull down the road, I will be picking those pastels back up and trying my hand to see if I can still do it.

The fruits of my labor hang in my home.

7 comments:

uberrhund said...

Dottie, those are all just beautiful!
You have such a good natural eye, no wonder your photo composition is also so good.
I find my talent lies in the written word not in anything visual like painting , drawing or Legos!
I love the pumpkins and gourds!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Oh my goodness Dot, you are so talented! I can't even draw a stick figure so people who are artistic like this impress the heck out of me. Beautiful!

Christina said...

Oh, so beautiful, Dottie ~ you have great talent!!!

Dot O said...

Thanks girls! I think "had talent" is more suitable. I'm so not sure if I can still do it...

My sister and I took classes together, however she is an artist by profession. I just did it for fun. She is amazing. I'll have to take a photo of the print she gave me for Christmas last year of one of her works of art that I admired.

Unknown said...

You have such a gift! They are beautiful! You will get back to it someday. Sounds like you miss it some. And yes, Photoshop surely takes up so much time!

Holly (me.) said...

Oh, my. Open that box! Open that box!

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

Those are stunning! All of my creativity gets sucked into photography but I used to take art classes too! : )