Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Bit Of Our Decorations

Not to be totally outdone by my fellow blogger, Angie of The Arthur Clan, here are a few pics of our decorations. I got the idea for my mantle display about four years ago when my husband's side of the family decided it would be fun if we all celebrated Thanksgiving together in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We spent several days there and one night we went out to a restaurant where they had one of their mantles decorated with lights, garland and huge glass ornaments. While my mantle is not large enough to justify the same huge glass orbs, I think these fit perfectly.

A fair number of ornaments on our tree were made by the kids in school and the two Christmas balls that I show (blue and red) were made by a fifth grade teacher at the grade school who gives one to each of the kids in her homeroom. She first asks all the kids to describe each child's qualities and she then writes those qualities on the ball with the student's name. I thought it was very sweet of her to do this for her students.

I included a photo of the manger we have. I grew up with this manger so it has a history with me. I, being the youngest of four, had the awesome responsibility of setting up the manger scene every year. I loved doing it - we even had trees and mountain paper back then and some fake snow. I also almost got electrocuted by this manger one year when I was plugging the light (the north star) into the back of the stable. Apparently, there was something wrong with the wiring and when I pushed the plug into the outlet, I got blown back a few feet and all the power went out in the house and I was a tad blackened. All was fine and I just felt a little tingly. So, my parents felt it was fitting that the manger become mine in later years since we had such a history. (They had replaced the wiring to the light).

Well, that's about it for now. Hoping to eventually post the kids' Christmas photo if they ever are both home at the same time for me to take it! Have a great day!









2 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I am SO JEALOUS of your mantle!! we had two fireplaces in the home we lived in before this one and I miss them so much. I love the idea that you copied for yours.

All your decorations are wonderful. I especially love the ones your kids made...those are always the most special ones.

Christina said...

Your tree is beautiful ~ LOVE seeing your holiday decorations! I'd say you earned the nativy set! You did great decorating your mantle ~ and of course, there's a stocking for the Beagle!

:)