Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Promise To Myself

Well, to me it seems like we are in the fast lane. To others it may look like we are moving at a snail's pace. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is just four days from now. Didn't summer just come to an end? Wasn't I just at Target purchasing school supplies? I really don't like that the time is moving as it is. My daughter is a senior in high school. While there are times (many times) that she's driving me absolutely up the wall, I don't want this year to go by too quickly because this time next year, she will not be living at home with us - she will be off to college.  Lots of emotions are wrapped up with that - excitement for her as she enters this next phase of life in pursuit of a nursing degree, excitement for her to experience a bigger piece of life than she has so far, and excitement for all that lays out before her. However, I am scared too - very scared of the experiences she will be exposed to. While we've done our best to lay the groundwork that will form the adult she is becoming, there is so much out there that maybe we didn't cover. Finally, I am also sad. My favorite times have always been when the four of us are safely home, watching TV together or maybe playing a game, or even each doing our own thing. Just knowing my family is with me has brought me much happiness and now I wonder can I be just as happy/content with one of us away for a while? I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, we will enjoy things together over the coming months - a Christmas show, family parties, college visits (only two more to go!!), evenings spent together just as a family not doing anything exciting.

I've seen on TV and read in magazines how dinner time as a family is very critical in solidifying the family unit.  Dinner time in our home has always been a priority - it is a time where we all discuss the day's events, hash out differences, and express opinions. It is also a time of laughter - and in my house a sense of humor is also a priority. If you don't have one, you won't survive.

I am heading into this week that heralds the start of the Christmas Holiday Season of 2009 with much anticipation of the great family times and memories that await us over the coming weeks of the holiday season, and the coming months of 2010 and a promise to get the most out of this time we have together.








I have also made a promise to my kids that I will never make them dress alike for a holiday photo .....



Well, except for last year... but I only  made them wear the same hat. The fact that they are dressed alike is the schools fault....



The end......

6 comments:

Matty said...

Hi Dot,

Having three grown children, I understand your concerns. As parents, we want to keep them under our wings where we know they'll be safe. But we also know that, just like the mother eagle, there comes a time when we have to let them spread their own wings and fly. Our instincts tell us that we did the best we could to prepare them for that day, and because of it, we know they are ready.

Cherish the memories these holidays will bring in her final year. Take lots of pictures. But take comfort in knowing that the parenting job you did will carry her through as she leaves the nest and flies on her own.

She won't forget her roots. When life throws her a curve, she'll know what to do.....because of mom and dad.

Martha said...

Awesome post!

I too can't believe how fast time is flying. We've been living back in PA almost 6 months now. Like you said, wasn't it just summer?

angie {the arthur clan} said...

It makes me sad, and yet happy at the same time to read your post Dot. It's easy to tell that you've done a wonderful job of raising your children, but as a mom it makes me sad that you have so little time with your daughter still home with you.

I hope you have a lovely holiday season together!

Christina said...

Enjoy the holiday season with your family! Time does fly by too quickly. You are fortunate to have such a close and loving family that enjoys time spent together. :)

Unknown said...

What a great post! I just adored it : ) And I think it is filled with wisdom! I hope you all have a great last year together. It is so hard to watch them grow up, isn't it? Oh my goodness!

Unknown said...

PS They are beautiful! Even in matching sweaters!